Thursday 21 February 2013

Re-tweet the chicken or the egg?!



We all know how much I love Twitter, it’s well documented! During the last week though I’ve had some really interesting conversations with people about how you measure results when using it.

This then got me thinking, when trying to grow your Twitter presence which is more important, re-tweets or followers? For me it’s a bit like the age old question, which came first; the chicken or the egg?!

Of course followers are important as you’ve got to have people to interact with, but if you’ve got 300 followers who re-tweet for you regularly, your message will more than likely reach more people than if you had 3000 followers who never re-tweet for you. The upside of lots of re-tweets is you could get more followers; I know for me I generally find new people to follow from looking at accounts that come into my stream from re-tweets.

You could however then flip that all on its head and say you need more followers to have a wider audience of people that could re-tweet for you.

But, then I suppose at the end of the day it all comes down to interaction – the keystone of Twitter!  If you’re not interacting with people and engaging them, neither followers nor re-tweets will help get your message out there or get you results!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment